While the world was still trying to balance into 2021 after a turbulent covid-2020 that shook up every single industry including the music industry, Mavin founder and supreme, DON JAZZY, announced the signing of a female artiste, AYRA STARR, into Mavin Records, on his Twitter page late Thursday, January 21, 2021.
The producer broke down his reasons for signing the 18 years old talent, Ayra Starr with an introductory video.
According to him, he met the singer last year, and described her as not not just an amazing artist, but also an all round superstar. He wrote:
“Last year I met the most incredible 18 year old girl, her name is @AyraStarr. Through her lyrics guided by her soulful voice, I am able to see the world from a teenager’s point of view. Ayra is not just an amazing artist, she is an all round superstar. It’s been a fantastic experience working behind the scene for over a year and we at Mavin Global are super proud to present to the world today #AyraStarr.”
On her part, Ayra Starr said she is honoured to be a part of Mavin, as she expressed excitement on the journey that lies ahead.
”I am very honored to be part of the Mavin family and excited to go on this journey. Thank you to everyone who has been in my corner from day one . LETS GO!”
WHO IS AYRA STARR
1. Ayra Starr is an 18-year-old afropop singer with a powerful voice and although she is Lagos based, she, like the Mavins starboy, Rema, is a native of Edo state.
2. She started dropping videos of herself singing to already created songs as well as songs she wrote herself as early as 2019. This was probably part of Ayra’s discovery journey, (dear up and coming artiste take note) as she was discovered by Don Jazzy who warmly and publicly welcomed her into the Mavins clan.
3. She draws inspiration from her dad who is unfortunately now late.
4. She has an undeniably strong and unique voice which she now channels into creating a blend of Afropop, Afrobeats and RnB. Here’s a video of her trying Afrobeats for the first time.
5. She was signed sometime last year and now just released her debut project. It’s a 5-track EP named after her and is filled with a lot of soulful vibes and sweet melodies with a dash of teenage angst and about love and coming of age.
This would be MAVIN Records first major signee in two years. The last artist to be unveiled by the label was Crayon. As they did with Rema and Crayon, Ayra Starr has also released her debut EP shortly after getting unveiled
At 18 years old, Ayra’s ejection into the halls of fame has now given her an unsaid crown among her peers; the internet-savvy and hip generation, Gen Z.
The Ayra Starr EP is a 5-track affair of soulful vibes and sweet melodies as she enchants you with her malleable yet strong vocals, singing songs of love, coming of age and teenage angst. It comes with a preparedness not only on the side of the 18-year-old star bud, but in the star makers themselves, Mavin Records that hints at the game they’re playing at the global arena.